Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Tuesday, Feb 6 ~ A Day in the Life of Katrina

I took photos all day yesterday so I could do "A Day in the Life" for the day. But I didn't want to stay up late last night to post them all. I didn't realize how many pictures I was taking. Fortunately for you, I'm not posting them all! LOL There isn't much "art" in here, but hopefully I won't bore you too much as I share my day.


Time to wake up. I got dressed and went downstairs to discover it was 13 below!
I ground wheat berries for flour to make breakfast. This is my "Whisper Mill" which frankly, sounds much more like a jet engine than a whisper.

Mixed up breakfast and put it in the oven -- orange cranberry breakfast cake.
While it baked, I was posting photos on my blog.


Then the kids and I ate breakfast. They thought I was odd for taking a picture of them eating.
After breakfast, I emptied the dishwasher and took my vitamins and allergy pill.


I started a batch of yogurt, rinsed eggshells and finished making the tea that dh had started earlier. What? You mean everyone doesn't clean their eggshells????



Kitchen is all cleaned up. I helped dd with her grammar.
I meditated on this passage of Scripture and took a brief phone call -- Hi Mom. :)



Then I started a load of laundry and posted a comment on my favorite forum.



While I was at the computer, my sister called. We talked for a long time, mostly about homeschooling. She is going to remove her son from the cyber school he's in and homeschool him next year. We were tossing ideas around. Then I discovered that ds needed a quiz that I hadn't made yet -- oops! So I ate my lunch of leftover meat pie at the computer while typing up his quiz. Hurry up! I need to get ready to go grocery shopping.


Checking the pantry shelves and marking my list.
In the car and ready to go.
First stop -- the ATM so I can have some money to shop with.

BUMMER!!! I drove to another ATM and here's the cash!



Now to shop!!! Trader Joe's. The clerk commented on my stocking up on bacon. :)
I decided on the spur of the moment to make a quick stop at Jo-Ann to look at decorator fabric. Maybe I can find something I like to make dining room & kitchen curtains. They had fabric samples I could take home, but they weren't big enough to show the actual pattern on the fabric, just the colors. So then I realized, Hey! I have a camera in my pocket. I can take pictures!! I was so excited. Maybe I should always carry my camera when I go shopping! (I took many pictures, but I'll spare you and only post one.)


It was snowing, and by the time I came out of Jo-Ann it was starting to accumulate on the roads. Next stop - Meijer. I had planned one more stop - where I get most of my groceries. But the roads were getting bad, and traffic was moving very, very slow.
So I had to head back toward home in order to be there in time to pick my kids up from a class they were at. (My sister took them to the class for me.) I stopped at "my" Kroger to pick up a prescription and at the post office to get my mail.

Picked up my kids and dropped off my niece.


Home again! Unload the groceries.


The kids were excited and anxious to tell me about the rufous-sided towhee that had been hanging out at our feeder all afternoon.


The handle on my trombone case was in need of repair, so I removed it and replaced it with a leather belt I bought at Meijer. Then I tried the new tea I bought at Trader Joe's. It smelled better than it tasted.
Karate classes were cancelled for the evening, and since we had extra time, ds asked if he could make supper. I was glad to oblige. :) Although I maybe should have supervised a little bit. He mistook the finely shredded coconut for parmesan cheese! Made for an interesting meal. LOL


Supper turned out to be quite edible (they ate it all). "Mom, quit taking pictures of us eating! That's just weird!" DH hadn't made it home yet, so he's not eating with us. It ended up taking him three hours to get home on the snowy roads. It's normally a 45-minute drive. So he didn't get home until 8:00, and then he couldn't get up the driveway. So the kids helped him shovel and salt it until he was able to get the car up the hill.


With no karate classes, I decided to do an exercise video. But I wasn't brave enough to show ME in the picture. Here's the video. :) Then I helped the kids finish up the covers they are making for their karate journals and sent them off to the print shop -- I love email! By now it's 10:00.


Shower. I love my laptop! :) I'm very comfy while checking blogs.

Good night! Dh came back after I was asleep and took this one.

12 Comments:

Blogger LauraLiz said...

I had a lot of fun following your day, but I tell you--after the couple of days I've had, the thought of coconut instead of P. cheese is pretty bad!!

I can't imagine 13 below.

February 7, 2007 at 10:51 AM  
Blogger Sandie said...

Full day! I am glad the ingredient mix up wasn't a total disaster! That would have been very discouraging. Now it is just a fun family memory. I still have a great time every time someone posts these 'day in my life' blogs. They really make it feel like a short visit. :)

February 7, 2007 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger MaryD said...

This was really fun to read and look at Katrina! So what's with washing the eggshells??

February 7, 2007 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I give the eggshells back to the chickens. It helps keep their calcium up so they don't lay shell-less or thin-shelled eggs. But the chickens don't live here (they're my sister's) so I end up storing the shells a while before I get them to her. To keep them from becoming a yucky mess, I rinse the egg out of them and let them dry before crushing the shells and storing them in a sandwich bag. Maybe now it doesn't sound so strange! :) (or maybe not) :D

February 7, 2007 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger MaryD said...

Thanks for solving that! It's fun to learn new things too.

February 7, 2007 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Ampersand said...

Really enjoyed tagging along on your day :0.

February 7, 2007 at 6:21 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Thanks for sharing your day with us! It was fun to enjoy it vicariously.

February 7, 2007 at 8:50 PM  
Blogger Dancingirl said...

I so enjoyed this!! So funny about you realizing you had a camera in the fabric store... and the mishap with the mistaken coconut. Glad it all got eaten. I'll follow you around anyday; I got to spend some time in virtual snow!

February 7, 2007 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! I got tired watching your day. You are a busy lady! Love the footprints in the snow.

February 8, 2007 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger MistyK said...

Katrina, this was so fun! Love your pics. Would you mind passing along the cranberry breakfast bread recipe? Sounds good!

Misty

February 8, 2007 at 1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was so much fun to read! I may have to try this sometime. I wondered about the eggshells - thanks for sharing that! =) Mystery solved!

Also, I second the suggestion to share the recipe for the breakfast cake - sounds scrumptious!

February 8, 2007 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Dalissa 365 said...

Ah, that's my favorite place to check the internet... I really enjoyed getting to see your whole day.

February 9, 2007 at 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home